Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Intro

   I'm kinda excited about this project.

   Like it says in the "about the honorable court" page, I'm a cop.  My choice of career makes staying current on case law important to me.  I think that it should be a higher priority for police in general, but none of the departments that I've worked for have offered any programs to make staying current easy.  Every so often, your supervisor will discuss a recent case (which they may or may not interpret correctly).  Maybe once a year you'll go to a legal update class where someone will try to condense twelve months of statutory and case law changes into a couple of easily digestible hours.  Either way, you're going to miss a lot of important information.  Fortunately, thanks to the magic of the internet, it's not all that hard to go to the horse's mouth.  So I've been following the courts on my own by subscribing to legal blogs and watching the courts' web sites for new decisions.

   I've been pretty happy with that approach, but it wasn't complete.  I wanted a database that help me keep track of the decisions that I was reading, maybe even one that would help like-minded people benefit from my research.  Hopefully, that's what this blog will be.  I'll begin by posting some of the recent decisions that I've read, and I'll update the blog whenever another interesting case crosses my monitor.  Maybe a little later I'll go back further and add some old cases that should still be required reading for people in my field.  Most of the posts on this blog will be a link to a court decision along with a few paragraphs explaining my understanding of that decision.  If something is particularly interesting, or if you've got a different understanding of the decision than I do, then I'd love to hear from you in the comments for that post.  After all, i'm no more qualified than the next guy to interpret these decisions, and I could benefit from everyone else's take on the law as much as they could benefit from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment